IATE has been operational since the summer of 2004 with the aim of providing an internet-based service for sharing terminology between institutions. In 2007 a public version of the site was launched which enables all EU citizens to search for specific terminology in any of the official languages. The Internet version of IATE now receives over 70 million queries a year.
Both IATE sites have “help” sections should users encounter any difficulties whilst searching in IATE. Furthermore, there is also an Input Manual for those users who create and update entries.
The database is managed by a management group with representatives from the following institutions participating in the IATE project:
- The European Parliament
- The European Commission
- The Council of the European Union
- The European Court of Justice
- The European Court of Auditors
- The European Economic and Social Committee
- The Committee of the Regions
- The Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union
- The European Central Bank
The IATE Management Group meets several times a year; in these meetings the European Parliament is represented by TermCoord. For further details about the interinstitutional management of IATE, click here.